Click image for all photos
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
- About The Experience
Imagine a place that was "brilliantly designed" and "a real gem." Sounds pretty intriguing, right? Well, you'll find that those are the exact words used to describe this vacation rental in France by previous guests who just loved it! Bordering the Dronne River, this self-catering accommodation near Chenaud has a peaceful and pleasant setting in the beautiful countryside. Incredible, stunning, and lovingly restored, this is just the place to spend the holidays in France!
- Location Description
Located on the border of the Dordogne and Charente regions of Southern France, this charming chateau is located just outside of the medieval village of Chenaud (population of 340). The area is a quiet little valley on the west side of the Dordogne region. There is a bakery and butcher shop less than 5 km south in St. Aulaye; 5 km north there is a good grocery store in Chalais.
Nearby Attractions: The property is situated in the center of the largest wine producing area of France: Bordeaux, Bergerac and Cognac. Saint-Emilion is only a 45-minute drive away. The countryside is ideal for walking and biking – in the hilly fields, the forest of the banks of the Dronne River. Close to St. Aulaye, there's a nature reserve: La Jemaye. There are markets throughout the area, with a large market in Riberac on Friday; on Sunday there is a big antique market in Bordeaux. Aubeterre-sur-Dronne is listed as one of the “most beautiful villages of France”.
Bordeaux: 69 km/43 mi
Angouleme: 59 km/37 mi
Perigueux: 50 km/31 mi
Riberac: 19.2 km/12 mi
Aubeterre sur Dronne: 9.6 km/6 mi
St. Aulaye: 4.8 km/3 mi
Chalais: 4.8 km/3 mi
- Exterior Description
2.6 hectares (6.4 acres): The chateau was built in the 17th century, with the foundation dating back to 1090. In the 18th and 19th century the chateau was enlarged with 2 more parts. All sections are attached to each other with 3-foot thick walls. The different styles of the various constructions are visible, which lends an attractive rambling aspect to the building. For example, in the 17th century the cellar, now used for wine storage, was the kitchen. The original details are still visible. The property is accessed via a quiet little road that connects two small villages. The graveled courtyard leads to the house, barn and garden. The backyard overlooks the winding Dronne River where there is a dock (4m x 7m) where guests can sit and to enjoy the riverside and the canoes passing by. The large garden is completely private; the north, south and west sides consist of typical large French walls; the river Dronne is on the east side of the property. The south of the property has a splendid view of the 12th century Roman church of Chenaud. There is garden furniture in both sunny and shaded areas of the garden. There are huge 100-year old oak and line trees, as well as apple, peach, cherry, prune and chestnut trees. New plantain trees have been planted. At the far end of the garden a little pond.
This apartment is located in the part of the chateau built in the 17th century. This section has been tastefully decorated with antiques and exquisite fabrics, combined with pieces of modern European art.
- Interior Description
Ground Floor: On the ground floor is the living area, including a living/dining room, kitchen an entrance hall and guest bathroom. From the entrance hall one can access the guest bathroom with a WC and sink, as well as the washing machine and dryer, iron and ironing board (located in a closet). Also from the entrance one can access the living/dining room and the fully equipped kitchen. The living room is the oldest part of the chateau, dating back to 1626. The living/dining room decor is modern with antique elements and the room features a wood stove with the furniture surrounding the stove. From the kitchen you can access a large balcony where you can enjoy your breakfast in the morning sun. There is a built-in electronic safe.
First Floor: A staircase goes to the first floor, where there are two double bedrooms, each with king-size beds (or twin-beds, depending upon the preference). There are two ensuite bathrooms, each with a shower, sink and WC. There is central heating. Because of the 3-foot wide walls, there is no need for air conditioning, as the walls keep the house quite cool in summer.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Portable Baby Crib: Upon request
- Firewood: Upon request
- The property is not well suited for handicapped people.
- Because of the river, children must be watched closely.
- This villa comes with a welcome basket with: tomato sauce, olive oil, and pasta, fresh fruit, eggs, and corn flakes, various cheeses and local bread, mineral water, orange juice, Coke, milk, coffee, tea, and wine (red and white), sugar, salt, butter, jam, napkins, dishwasher tablets, and toilet paper.
Features and Amenities
- Detached House
- Free Parking on Premises
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Area - Shared
- Outside Dining
- CD player
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- TV - English Channels Available
- Internet - Wireless
- American Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Electric Tea Kettle
- Hair Dryer
- Iron and Board
- Toaster Oven
- Washing Machine
- Firewood Available - Extra Cost
- Heating - Whole House
- Window Screens - Partial House
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Cook Service Available - Extra Cost
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
- Welcome Basket
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit payable in cash. The security deposit will be returned to you prior to your departure minus accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 500 EUR
- Weekly Cleaning Charge (Mandatory): 90 EUR
- Housekeeping available upon request at an extra charge
- Arrival Fee (Outside Posted Times): Payable upon arrival
- Departure Time: 10:00 am
- Cook Services (If Available): must be arranged at least 2 months prior to arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Extra Services (cook, housekeeping, etc) may be arranged for a non-refundable fee payable to Rentvillas.com. Last minute requests (less than 2 weeks prior to arrival) will be an extra charge. Please inquire for pricing.
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like:
Based on 3 Reviews
Peace and Quiet
This property was the best that I have stayed in. The attention to detail in presentation was excellent. We really enjoyed the ambience and the peacefullness of the grounds and surrounding countryside. Max and Vera attended to any of our requests and were great hosts.
We liked the history of the property and the rural location.
We enjoyed the whole area. All places to visit were within 40 minutes drive.
Nearby Events or Locales:
Chalais was 10 minutes away.
Tips or Restaurants:
GPS is required.
Check In Out:
Everything went smoothly.
We did enjoy our stay at this lovely property. We all had a wonderful holiday, and the best part was the week in Chenaud. We will certainly add this home to our list of places to which we hope to make a return visit and we are letting our friends know what a wonderful spot it is.
The weather was quite kind to us and we enjoyed having our meals out doors at various locations around the property.
Dolores tvl agt, June
My husband and I have nothing but rave reviews about our experience in La Floreale. The couple who own it could not have been nicer or more helpful. The house was immaculate and decorated professionally. Both bathrooms had incredible walk-in showers. I do know that the owners are planning to build a deck off the kitchen which will further heighten an already wonderful experience.
We certainly recommend the chateau to anyone looking to experience old world charm with modern conveniences.
Of special note is the kitchen. Our preference is to be out all day sightseeing, shop at local markets and cook our dinners in each night.
The kitchen was so well equipped, lacking for nothing. It had a beautiful window overlooking the back of the house, sloping down to the river. The sound of the waterfall kept us company while we prepared and ate our meal.