Click image for all photos
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
- About The Experience
Who doesn’t want to get whisked away to their own private castle in the heart of a small village within the Italian countryside? This very special 6th century neo-gothic castle in the region of Marche has played an important role in history. Strategically built to defend the ancient Roman bridge of Via Flaminia against the Goths, the stone castle in Marche now entertains guests in four private apartments for rent in Italy. Ideal for a couple with children, this holiday accommodation in the village of Smirra has beautiful landscaped grounds and an Italianate garden dating back to the 18th century where one can spend the hours exploring.
- Location Description
Located in the quaint Italian village of Smirra, this accommodation has easy access to a grocery shop, bar, restaurant and post office. Within 50 meters from the property is a bus stop with destinations to Acqualagna, Cagli, Urbino and Pesaro. If you are planning a trip in October or November, a visit to the nearby town of Acqualagna during their annual National Truffle Fair is a must! There are also food and wine tours, cooking classes, and delightful shops. Within driving distance is the city of Urbino, featuring one of the most beautiful Renaissance palaces. This palace was used by Duke Federico da Montefeltro to house some of the greatest painters, poets and scholars of his day. If ocean breezes and beaches are more your style, the coastal town of Fano (on the Adriatic Coast) is a 25 minute drive- with two relatively un-crowded beaches, a harbor and great seafood restaurants! Perfect for a day trip, Perugia has a rich history and many wonderful sights. From the first settlement of Umbrians, then Etrucscans, Romans, and throughout history, Perugia has been a place of major importance. Its high position over the Tiber valley puts it in a key military position, which is why it has been the site of many political and military struggles throughout history. Today it remains a spot of rich historical traditions and architecture spanning centuries. Just a few examples: ancient walls from the original Etruscan city; a 12th century fountain; the 14th century Palazzo dei Priori; and the 15th century Cathedral of San Lorenzo. The list goes on! Suffice to say you'll never run out of things to see here!
Nearby Attractions: Smirra (grocery shop, bar, restaurant, post office, bus stop), Acqualagna (National Truffle Fair), Urbino (palace), Fano (beaches, harbor, restaurants), Perugia (12th century fountain, 14th century Palazzo dei Priori, 15th century Cathedral of San Lorenzo).
Perugia: 75 km/47 mi
Pesaro: 60 km/37 mi
Fano (Adriatic Coast): 46 km/28.5 mi
Urbino: 32 km/20 mi
Furlo Gorge: 10 km/6 mi
Cagli: 5 km/3 mi
Acqualagna: 5 km/3 mi
Smirra: 50 m/164 ft
- Exterior Description
(5000 m2) Dating back to the early 6th century, this neo-gothic stone castle was once used to defend the ancient Roman bridge of Via Flaminia. This bridge was often the scene of many bloody battles between the Goths and Byzantines and remnants of Via Flaminia have been integrated into this estate. At the end of the 18th century, the building was turned into an elegant manor house that has since been renovated and divided into four private apartments for rent. The tower of the castle is a private residence in which one of the owners resides. Beautiful landscaped grounds surround the property and outdoor lighting allows for a relaxing evening stroll. There is a two-level 18th century Italianate garden with fountains that have remained faithful to its original design. The apartment features a private outdoor table with chairs. Parking is available within the property grounds.
- Interior Description
First Floor: The entrance to this apartment is from an internal stone staircase. The living/dining room is completely furnished with a wood-burning fireplace, sofa bed , two armchairs, satellite TV, DVD and CD player. There is also a table with chairs seating up to six people. The fully-equipped kitchen has a cook-top, oven, microwave, and kettle and opens onto the internal courtyard and. There are two bedrooms. The first bedroom has a 160 cm queen-size bed. The second bedroom has two 100 cm large single beds. There are two bathrooms with a sink, WC and shower.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Cooking Classes: Upon request
- Personal Tour Guide: Upon request
- Babysitting: Upon request
- Telephone: According to consumption
- Castello Flaminia is composed of 4 apartments. This property can be rented with
San Filippo, or
to accommodate more people.
- This apartment also has a sofa bed in the living room
- Utilities included in the rental price.
- The tower of the castle is a private residence in which one of the owners resides.
- The chapel is under construction and not available for client’s use. However, the castle’s park can be used for special occasions and weddings (prior arrangement required).
Features and Amenities
- TV - English Channels Available
- Clothes Dryer
- Electric Tea Kettle
- Fireplace - Indoor
- Heating - Whole House
- Window Screens - Partial House
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Cook Service Available - Extra Cost
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit, which will be authorized on a credit card (Visa or Mastercard). The security deposit will be refunded within one week of your departure from the property minus any extra charges or accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 150 EUR
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Housekeeping available upon request at an extra charge
- Heating (in Italy): Allowed by law from November 1 - April 1; some exceptions for extreme weather
- Arrival Fee (Outside Posted Times): Payable upon arrival
- Departure Time: 10:00 am
- Cook Services (If Available): must be arranged at least 2 months prior to arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
- Extra Services (cook, housekeeping, etc) may be arranged for a non-refundable fee payable to Rentvillas.com. Last minute requests (less than 2 weeks prior to arrival) will be an extra charge. Please inquire for pricing.
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Like this property? You may like: