Click image for all photos
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
- About The Experience
- This amazing Spanish castle in Cataluna is yours to command! With beautifully restored, authentic furnishings, the best thing about this holiday villa in Spain is still its fantastic views. Though you are located in a quaint rural area, this villa rental in Spain is within easy driving distance of the Costa Brava and many wonderful towns, including Girona. Portion your time between relaxing at this ancient abode, lounging on great beaches, and exploring characteristic Spanish villages, all near this villa in Spain.
- Location Description
This castle is located in the rural village of Sant Mori, in the Ampurdan district of the Girona province, on the Iberian Peninsula of Spain. Constructed largely in the 16th century, it has a classic Gothic-Renaissance style. Perhaps the most historic moment in this castle's long history was the stay of Queen Juana Enriquez and the young prince Fernando—later to marry Isabel. Sant Mori is a rural village of 200 inhabitants, not far from Figueres, the capital of Ampurdan. The castle is only 10 km from the highway, and 40 km south of the French border. The nearest train station is in Flassà, which connects to Girona and thence to the rest of Europe. A short drive takes you to the beaches and coves of the Costa Brava towns of L'Escala, Sant Pere Pescador, D'Empuries, and more.
Nearby Attractions There are eight golf courses located within the vicinity of Sant Mori. Girona has interesting museums, such the Archeological Museum of Catalonia, the Cathedral Museum, the Art Museum, the City History Museum, the Museum of Jewish History, and the Cinema Museum. In Figueres, there is a Dali Museum, among others. The Costa Brava beach towns of Lescala, Sant Pere Pescador, and Dempuries are eight kilometers away.
Barcelona: 131.4 km; international airport
Perpignan (in France): 70 km; airport
Girona: 32.7 km; airport
Figueres: 20 km
Flassa: 15 km
Costa Brava: 8 km
Restaurants: 6 km
- Exterior Description
- (1100 m2 + terrace 500 m2) The castle, built during the 12th and 13th centuries, underwent a major renovation in the 15th century. In addition to the whole castle, there is an independent annex on the property that may be rented to accommodate a larger group (sleeps 6). The castle has four floors, a garden terrace (500 m2) with a covered lounge, and a private swimming pool (6m x4m and very deep). There are also many beautiful trails for walking, hiking, or biking around the castle.
- Interior Description
- (1100 m2) Four floors. All of the bedrooms feature unique furnishings and décor inspired by the castle's history.
Ground Floor: The ground floor has a spacious bedroom with a queen-size bed and an ensuite bathroom (with tub). There is a summer kitchen with convenient access to the pool area. There is also a meeting room, a game room, an interior courtyard, a utility room, and a guest WC.
First Floor: This floor includes a spacious living room with a fireplace, a dining room with a round table that seats 14 people, and a second dining room with seating for eight. There is also a spacious kitchen with a commercial-size oven, a dishwasher, and more. The master bedroom has two twin-beds, a fireplace, a dressing room, and an ensuite bathroom (with Jacuzzi tub). There is another bedroom with two twin-beds, a dressing room, and an ensuite bathroom (with shower). The third bedroom also has two twin-beds, as well as an ensuite bathroom (with tub). The first floor also has one additional WC.
Second Floor: On the second floor, there is one double bedroom with a queen-size bed, a fireplace, and a spacious ensuite bathroom (with tub). Another bedroom has two twin-beds and an ensuite bathroom (with shower). There are two more bedrooms, each with two twin-beds. Two additional bathrooms have tubs and are not ensuite. Finally, there is a utility room with a washing machine and dryer.
Third Floor: There is a spacious bedroom with two twin-beds and an ensuite bathroom (with tub). Also on this floor, there is a living room and a kitchen. In addition, there is an apartment that includes two twin-beds, a bathroom (with shower), a dressing room, a living room, and a small room with a single bed that is ideal for a child.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Cook service: 20-25 Euros per person, per meal (buffet style)
- Additional Housekeeping: Upon Request
- Babysitter: Upon Request
- Masseuse: Upon Request
- 4 hours of housekeeping (Monday to Friday) is included with the rental. Linens are changed at the end of each week.
Features and Amenities
- Free Parking on Premises
- Independent Villa
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Dining
- Pool Towels
- Swimming Pool - Private
- CD player
- Jacuzzi Tub - Inside
- TV - English Channels Available
- Internet - Not Wireless
- Telephone - Incoming & Outgoing
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Air Conditioning - Partial House
- Fireplace - Indoor
- Heating - Whole House
- Cook Service Available - Extra Cost
- Housekeeping - Included
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
To hold, book, or get pricing for the property.
Our Best Price Guarantee
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- One month prior to your arrival at the property, you are required to pay a security deposit directly to the owner by wire transfer. The security deposit will be returned to you by wire transfer within two weeks of your departure minus any extra charges or accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 1500 EUR
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Housekeeping available upon request at an extra charge
- Arrival Fee (Outside Posted Times): Payable upon arrival
- Departure Time: 9:00 am
- Cook Services (If Available): must be arranged at least 2 months prior to arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
- Non-refundable fee to arrange Extra Services (cook, housekeeping, etc): $30 paid to Rentvillas.com
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 10:30-2:30 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like:
Based on 3 Reviews
Peace and Quiet
The experience exceeded expectations in all ways. The home is amazing, and even more beautiful and extensive than the photos and literature suggest. T manager offered a tour and overview of how to operate appliances and other such practical manners. She was also available to assist us with any other requests for directions, suggestions, sites, etc. We invited her to dinner the last evening and learned about the history of the castle. Her gracious style was an enhancement and a practical benefit to a group that spoke no Spanish!
Previous reviews suggest "the bell" was a big problem. The house has modern insulated windows and air conditioning. With the windows closed, you could not hear the bells. Our room was immediately adjacent to the bell tower, too. Our group consisted of 7 couples plus a single. There was plenty of privacy for all, yet rooms large enough to congregate in for a large group. We could seat 15 for dinner at one large round table, and there were numerous sitting rooms lounges to offer quiet places if desired.
The proprietor was available to help with recommendations and translations- she speaks excellent English and has offices at the foot of the castle. The home was beautifully furnished and has an exceptional private patio with pool. Daily housekeeping was an added plus. Kitchen was well equipped allowing for meals to be cooked for a large group. Ample supply of good quality linens and dishes were available to set a formal table. A modern washer and dryer is available to guests.
One small bar in the village is open only on weekends. All amenities require driving, but there were shops and restaurants that were not far.
Excellent access to major roads. Sites in the area range from beaches to museums to archaeological sites. The Castillo was a convenient base to support the highlights of the region, yet offered a private, tranquil retreat for those in pursuit of sheer relaxation.
Nearby Events or Locales:
The village of St Mori is home to "120 souls". There is a daily bread truck, once a week vegetable market, and a butcher in the village. Everything else requires a car to access.
Tips or Restaurants:
There is a list of suggested restaurants at the home. Linens, towels, nominal supplies such as dish liquids, soap, toilet paper, were provided. There are chefs available to cook and serve at the home and clean up! We took advantage of that the last evening.
The building was beautiful and nicely restored, well laid out and relaxing.
The church bells every 15 minutes next door; we did not sleep the first 2 nights while getting used to it.
Lots to do; this is Costa Brava. There is lots within a 30 minute drive including beach, museums, towns...
Tips or Restaurants:
Bring ear plugs.
Check In Out:
The property manager - owner is great.
The weather was very warm so we enjoyed the beautiful garden terrace and the swimming pool was lovely.
The town is very rural and small with ringing church bells. There are no services within walking distance but the beaches are about a 20 minute drive. Gerona is a good size town that has Roman ruins and great architecture.
Events or Locales:
If you are a fan of his work or even mildly interested don't miss the Teatro-Museo Dali in Figueras. It is a most unique experience.