Click image for all photos
- About The Experience
Looking for a truly unique experience with family or friends? Leave the crowds behind and venture forth into Apulia, where the food is fabulous and there is much to see and visit. Treat yourself to this farmhouse for rent in Apulia, Italy, one of the most unique structures of the region. Built sometime between the 17th and 19th centuries in the Itria Valley, this trullo rental farmhouse has been restored to its original cone-shaped architecture. Visit the surrounding areas, including Ostuni, Alberobello, and Martina Franca, or simply stay home to enjoy your own Italian farmhouse with a pool.
- Location Description
This vacation farmhouse is nestled in the verdant Itria Valley located in Apulia, the southeastern-most region of Italy - known as the heel of the boot. The Itria Valley is very fertile with an abundance of olive and fruit trees, vineyards and rich, red earth. Unique to this valley are the conical buildings called trullos; whitewashed cones made of stones held together without mortar. Originally built by poor farmers, they were used as homes, barns, grain and wine storage. A short drive will take you to Cisternino, a charming white-washed village with market day on Monday and live jazz every weekend (very unique!) Farther out is the city of Locorotondo, famous for its white wine. The historic town of Martina Franca has magnificent baroque architecture, a cathedral with a highly ornate interior and an annual classical music concert called the “festival Valle d’itria” in July. Worth visiting is Alberobello, a UNESCO heritage site, where hundreds of trullos are clustered together to form the town. Market days are Thursday morning and Saturday afternoon and are a great way to enjoy fresh cheeses, herbs, olives, fish and vegetables. The October celebrations in Alberobello for the Patron Saints Medici Cosma and Damiano are fun to experience. Ideal for a daytrip, the town of Castellana is famous for its stunning underground caverns with an impressive display of stalagmites and stalactites.
Nearby Attractions: Itria Valley (trullos), Cisternino (market, live jazz ), Locorotondo (wine), Martina Franca (cathedral, “festival Valle d’itria”), Alberobello (UNESCO heritage site, trullos, market, celebrations for Patron Saints Medici Cosma and Damiano), Castellana (Grottos), Brindisi (Airport). The nearest airport is in Brindisi.
Bari (Airport): 70 km
Castellana: 43 km
Brindisi (Airport): 40 km
Ostuni: 30 km
Alberobello: 24 km
Torre Canne (beach): 20 km
Martina Franca: 16 km
Locorotondo: 15.5 km
Cisternino: 6 km
- Exterior Description
(3500 m2) This unique cottage, called a trullo, dates back to somewhere between the 17th and 19th century when this style of building was very popular. A trullo is round with a tall cone-shaped stone roof. It features traditional white-washed walls more than a meter thick that creates a comfortable indoor climate. The roof is made of local grey stone and is traditionally capped with a hand-carved stone ornament. This style of building is unique to the Itria Valley of Apulia and only about 1000 trullos are left standing. Guests can enjoy the covered patio, outdoor dining and barbecue area, or the swimming pool (3m x 9m). The swimming pool area has been landscaped with lovely rose, lavender, olive and apricot trees.
- Interior Description
Because of the unique conical shape, there are no doors inside – only columns of stone and curtains separate the rooms. The bathrooms are an exception and have doors for privacy. The trullo has been outfitted with comfortable furnishings and antiques.
Trullo: (sleeps 2)
Ground floor: There is a comfortable living room with a couch, two chairs, TV, VCR and CD player. The dining room has a table for four guests. The kitchen has a dishwasher, cook-top stove, oven, espresso machine and toaster. There is one bedroom with a 160 cm standard double bed, ceiing fan, and an ensuite bathroom with a sink, WC and a bathtub with a hand-held shower head.
Guest house #1: (sleeps 6)
Ground floor: There is a small kitchenette with a cook-top stove and an Italian coffee maker. There are three bedrooms each with two 90 cm twin-beds (beds in two bedrooms can be joined on request) and air conditioning. There is a bathroom with a sink, WC and bathtub and a bathroom with sink, WC, a shower. There is also a laundry area with a washing machine.
Guest house #2: (sleeps 2)
Ground floor: There is a bedroom with two 90 cm twin-beds (can be joined on request), air conditioning, and a bathroom with a sink, WC and shower.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Maid service is provided for 3 hours on Tuesday.
- A gardener comes for 2 hours 3 times a week.
- Water is very scarce in the area and the owners ask that guests be economical with their water use. Tap water is not drinkable.
- There is no telephone.
Features and Amenities
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Dining
- Swimming Pool - Private
- CD player
- TV - Local Channels Only
- Washing Machine
- Air Conditioning - Partial House
- Ceiling Fans - Partial House
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit payable in cash. The security deposit will be returned to you prior to your departure minus any extra charges or accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 1000 EUR
- Heating: According to consumption
- Telephone and Internet (If Available): According to consumption
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen (Weekly Charge): 100 EUR
- Weekly Cleaning Charge (Mandatory): 200 EUR
- Air conditioning: According to consumption
- Gas: According to consumption
- Housekeeping: Usually available upon request
- Heating (in Italy): Allowed by law from November 1 - April 1; some exceptions for extreme weather
- Cook Services (If Available): must be arranged at least 2 months prior to arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
- Late Arrivals are Not Accepted.
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Like this property? You may like: