View all photos
- About The Experience
You’ll be steeped in history during your stay in this magnificent castle from the 1200s, formerly a key point in defense network of Gubbio against rival towns currently owned by descendants of Napoleon Bonaparte. After a meticulous restoration, this castle has taken on a second life as a comfortable, luxurious vacation villa in Umbria. From the old watchtower, there are views of the huge, 500 hectare estate – which includes a swimming pool and rose garden - and the surrounding countryside of forests and meadows. For a large group, it’s hard to do better than this stately villa-castle.
- Location Description
This villa is located in Umbria, close to the village of Carbonesca, which has a bar, trattoria, and a small grocery store. A short drive away you will find Gubbio, with its narrow cobble streets. The town has restaurants, shops, and most necessities. A bit farther, Umbria’s capital city, Perugia, features a rich and long history that is evident when gazing up at the ancient ruins and buildings that include old churches and cathedrals. The Piazza IV Novembre, which is the heart of the city, is where locals and tourists like to gather. Any visit to Perugia should include a stroll along the Corso Vannucci for your evening passeggiata (stroll). Should you be traveling in October, attending the annual Perugia Chocolate Festival is a must. The town transforms into an open-air pastry shop where you can find anything chocolate-related. There are also cooking classes, exhibitions, and plenty of tasting opportunities. Lake Trasimeno, one of the largest lakes in Italy, also makes a unique day trip. The towns around the lake have a multitude of castles – there are even some in the lake itself, on its three islands. From Perugia, there are frequent train connections to Florence, Rome, and Pisa.
Nearby Attractions: tennis, golf, Perugia, Lake Trasimeno, Perugia, Umbertide, Grubbio, Carbonesca
Florence: 180 km/112 mi
Lake Trasimeno: 72 km/45 mi
Perugia: 48 km/30 mi
Umbertide: 48 km/30 mi
Fossato di Vico (Train Station): 24 km/15 mi
Gubbio: 21 km/13 mi
Carbonesca: 2 km/1 mi
- Exterior Description
This villa is a refurbished castle dating back to the 1200s, when it helped defend the nearby town of Gubbio against Perugia. Today, the castle sits on an estate of 300 hectares of forests and fields – great for hiking, a post-meal stroll, or for simply gazing upon from the castle’s lookout tower. A 5000 square meter garden surrounds the castle, and features a rose garden and lovely old trees. There is a private pool (15 x 8 m) and locations for al fresco dining.
- Interior Description
Ground Floor: This floor has a beautiful outside terrace and the main reception area. There is a big industrial kitchen equipped with an espresso machine, oven, blender, and dishwasher. The large dining room has a 16th century fireplace and a door leading to the guest quarters. There is also a guest bathroom.
First Floor: This floor has two sitting areas, each with a 16th century fireplace. One of the sitting areas has a small terrace with views of the countryside. One of the sitting areas also has a TV with a DVD player.
Second Floor: Up 3 little steps, this level has five bedrooms. The first has a queen-size bed (160 cm) and a bathtub in the bedroom and an ensuite sink and toilet 7 steps away. The second has twin-beds (80-90 cm, can be arranged to form a double bed upon prior request) with a fireplace and an ensuite bathroom with bathtub, hand shower, sink, toilet. The third has a queen-size bed (160 cm) and an ensuite bathroom with a shower, sink, and toilet. The fourth has a queen-size bed (160 cm) and an ensuite bathroom with bathtub, handheld shower head, sink, and toilet. The fifth has twin-beds (80-90 cm) and an ensuite bathroom with bathtub and hand shower.
Third Floor: This floor has a master bedroom with a queen-size bed (160 cm) and ensuite bathroom with bathtub, Jacuzzi, hand shower, sink, toilet and a sitting area.
Tower: Up an elegant open staircase, this level has a large bedroom with a queen-size bed (160 cm) and an ensuite bathroom with shower, sink, and toilet.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Cook Service: 130 Euros plus the cost of food
- Cooking Classes: 220 Euros plus the cost of food and wine
- Grocery Shopping: 50 Euros per trip
- Extra Housekeeping: 12 Euros per hour
- Laundry Service: 15 Euros per hour or 5 Euros per load
- Wine Tasting: 220 Euros plus the cost of wine
- Babysitting: 20 Euros per hour
- This property can be rented under the names
Castello Ducale - 22
Castello Ducale - 30
to accommodate more people.
- The staircase to the third floor and the tower of the castle are not suitable for small children.
- The kitchen can be used by the guests and the staff.
- The guest quarters are directly linked to the Castle’s ground floor through an ancient secret passageway, and can also be accessed externally.
- Single/twin-beds: We have listed them as 80-90 cm. A 90 cm bed is the standard size for a U.S. twin/single bed; therefore, an 85 cm wide bed is narrow by U.S. standards.
- Some twin-beds can be joined together to form a queen-size bed upon prior request.
- Daily Breakfast Service is included. Cost of food is not included. A deposit of 1000 Euros is to be paid in cash upon arrival, directly to the owner. Based on receipts, the owner will return the remaining deposit.
- Cook Service for lunch and dinner, has a surcharge of 30 Euros for particular food requests.
- Cooking Classes have the option to include Waiter Service. Waiter Service costs an additional 30 Euros.
- Housekeeping is provided every day except Sunday (20 hours per week). Linens are changed once per week, towels are changed twice per week. Additional Housekeeping can be arranged for an additional fee.
Features and Amenities
- Outside Area - Private
- Swimming Pool - Private
- Billiard/Pool Table
- CD player
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- Ping Pong Table
- TV - English Channels Available
- Internet - Wireless
- Telephone - Incoming Only
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine
- High Chair
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- A security deposit authorization form will be emailed to you. You will need to provide credit card info and email the form back to your Travel Advisor at least two weeks prior to your arrival at the property. We will forward this information on to the local agent, who will charge any damage to the property along with other stated expenses incurred during your stay. The listed security deposit is: 500 EUR
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Heating - Daily Charge (request in advance): 150 EUR
- Grocery Shopping (per trip to store): 50 EUR
- Food Deposit - must be paid on arrival in cash or with credit card (10% surcharge for credit card): 1000 EUR
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
- Departure Time: 9:00 am
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like: