Click image for all photos
- About The Experience
Sample Old-World flavor in the Chianti, including an historic 9th century castle—once home to Machiavelli—and its surrounding hamlet. Choose an apartment in one of the village farmhouses, parsonage, or in the castle itself. Spend your time strolling about the hamlet and taking in the magnificent views, or take day trips throughout Tuscany, including Lucca, Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, and Volterra.
- Location Description
The former home of one of Renaissance Italy's leading figures, this castle and its surrounding hamlet enjoy a hilltop location in the heart of the Chianti. The nearest towns are Montefiridolfi and Bargino. The nearest food market is about 2 km away. Additional shops, banks and a post office can be found in San Casciano.
Nearby Attractions: Be sure to experience the wines produced by the estate in their weekly wine tastings. Further afield, there are many other opportunities for wine tasting: La Sala Winery (San Casciano), Il Solatione Winery (Mercatale Val di Pesa), Cennatoio Winery and Villa Cafaggio Winery (Panzano). In Florence, explore Bargello and the Opera del Duomo which house two of the greatest collections of sculptures in the world. Along with the top museums like Uffizi, Galleria dell'Accademia, and Museo di Palazzo Vecchio, be sure to visit the Archeological Museum, the Museum of the History of Science and the Museo Stibbert, which has a famous collection of armor.
Pisa: 100 km/62 mi
Siena: 50 km/31 mi
Florence: 21 km/13 mi
San Casciano: 6 km/3.5 mi
Montefiridolfi: 4 km/2.5 mi
Bargino: 2 km/ 1mi
- Exterior Description
(Entire estate 6,000 m2/64,583 ft2)
The castle dates back to the 9th century, while the hamlet is from the medieval period. The estate, which includes separate, independent apartments located in either the village farmhouses, parsonage, or the castle itself has amazing views of the Chianti hills. The castle is surrounded by vineyards and olive groves. For information or assistance throughout the rental period, there is a reception office open every day. There is a shared swimming pool, open May to September, and a shared garden equipped with tables and chairs. There is a large parking area at the entrance of the hamlet. The road leading to the castle is paved.
- Interior Description
Farmhouse Apartment in the hamlet:
(112 m2/1,205 ft2)
Ground Floor: There is a living room with a fireplace and double sofa bed. The kitchen has an oven, stove and dishwasher. There are two bedrooms. The first is the master bedroom with a queen size (160 cm) bed. The second has twin beds (90 cm). This room overlooks the road. There is a bathroom with a Jacuzzi and a guest WC.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Housekeeping Available: 25 Euro per visit.
- Extra Linen Change: 15 Euro per person.
- Breakfast Service: 10 Euro per person.
- Wine Tasting And Olive Oil Tasting Available
- Firewood Available: Free of charge
- Clients can use Wi-Fi outdoors but it is not available in the units
- There is a fan in each bedroom
- During the summer there are often weddings and receptions held at the castle on the weekends
Features and Amenities
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Dining
- Swimming Pool
- Swimming Pool - Shared
- Bikes Available - Upon Request
- Ping Pong Table
- Hair Dryer
- Fireplace - Indoor
- Heating - Whole House
- High Chair
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
- Reception Office
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit payable in cash. The security deposit will be returned to you prior to your departure minus accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 200 EUR
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Tourist Tax (Daily - Per Person): 1.5 EUR
- Housekeeping available upon request at an extra charge
- Heating (in Italy): Allowed by law from November 1 - April 1; some exceptions for extreme weather
- Arrival Fee (Outside Posted Times): Payable upon arrival
- Departure Time: 10:00 am
- Cook Services (If Available): must be arranged at least 2 months prior to arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like:
Based on 2 Reviews
Peace and Quiet
Our experience was amazing!!! Property is pristine in the middle of the country with beautiful walking paths and roads around.
Nature and spirit of the place, also magnificent views!
The beds are little small and the sofa not that comfortable but to be honest we were so tired at night that we slept like rocks.
Nearby Events or Locales:
Yes, Bargino is one mile away and it is lovely
Check-in and check-out was very smooth. Staff were wonderful and responded quickly to our inquiries and requests.
Grounds were lovely with spectacular views. It was well-situated near other small towns and the autostrada.
Second bathroom toilet was broken. There was no hot water in the shower. Editor's Note: All repairs have been completed. April, 2015.
The surrounding area had spectacular views. The lovely town of San Casciano is nearby, with a large grocery and wine store. The Antinori Winery is a five minute drive away in Bargino, definitely worth a tour.
Nearby Events or Locales:
The nearest town is Bargino. It would be quite a trek to walk there down a winding, narrow road.
Tips or Restaurants:
I would bring face cloths because towels are not changed during the week unless you ask. Also, flip flops as the stone floor is cold.
For traditional, home-cooked Tuscan food, we really enjoyed Trattoria da Bule in Bargino. Nello in San Casciano was also very good with great service and friendly staff.
The directions to the property were excellent, and once outside Florence, it was easy to find even if we didn't have a GPS. Otherwise, we found the GPS invaluable to find our way to other locations.
Check In Out:
There were absolutely no issues with check-in check-out.
Sheila , October