View all photos
- About The Experience
Few properties in Tuscany can boast such beautiful panoramic views of the region’s iconic hills and valleys as this one. The lovingly restored villa has a tower, built in the middle of the 1600s, that was once used as a lookout. Now, five couples will enjoy views of nearby Monterchi, as well as the swimming pool, dining al fresco, and day trips to nearby Arezzo and Cortona.
- Location Description
This property is ideally located less than three kilometers from Monterchi, a medieval town that was dedicated to Hercules during the Roman times. Dating back to the year 1095, Monterchi has shops, restaurants, markets, a bank, post office, and several interesting churches. Perhaps the town is most famous for Piero della Francesca’s extraordinary fresco, the Madonna del Parto, painted in 1459 and now displayed in a primary school, also considered a museum. During the summer months, the museum hosts open-air concerts of classical music every Wednesday night on the gardens. Also in Monterchi is a Polenta Festival held every September where visitors can taste local recipes and learn about local traditions. Arezzo, the charming town used as the backdrop for Roberto Benigni's "Life is Beautiful," is about a half an hour drive away and is perfect for a day trip. Once one of the most important Etruscan cities, today Arezzo is beautiful for an array of architecture spanning centuries, from Etruscan ruins to the Roman Amphitheatre and the Medici Fortress. The first weekend of each month brings a popular antique fair, while annually there is a festival called "Joust of the Saracens," where all of the citizens dress in medieval attire and knights representing each part of the city charge at a target representing a Saracen king. The area is also well situated for day trips throughout Tuscany to places such as Cortona, Perugia, and Florence.
San Gimignano: 147 km/91 mi
Florence: 105 km/65 mi
Siena: 91 km/57 mi
Cortona: 45 km/28 mi
Monterchi: 2.5 km/1.6 mi
- Exterior Description
This villa was lovingly restored, keeping to traditional Tuscan methods. The medieval tower has a terrace with unbeatable views over the whole valley. Behind the villa, up a staircase of wide, stone steps, is a new, private swimming pool (12m x 6 m deep, 1.5 m wide; open from May 1 to October 1) in a well-tended garden with roses, lavender, jasmine, cypresses and olive trees. Next to the pool is a Jacuzzi (Heated upon prior request; open from April to October). The area around the pool has a gazebo, table, sunbeds, chairs and umbrellas. An outdoor dining area, located behind the villa within the lush, terraced garden, is perfect for dining al fresco and has a barbecue and a view of Monterchi and the green hills of Tuscany. Additional amenities on the property include a tennis table, volley ball, playground area (1,000 m2) for children, and soccer area. Plenty of parking is available on the property.
- Interior Description
Expanded around a medieval tower, the stone farmhouse was added in 1894 by the great grandfather of the current owner. Terracotta floors, wood beamed ceilings, original wooden doors, and period furniture adorn the inside of the property.
Ground Floor: This floor features two living rooms furnished with arm chairs and sofas, with a working fireplace, the television, and a stereo being found in the first. A charming wood-beamed dining room features a long table with chairs. The fully-equipped kitchen has a microwave, American coffee maker, Italian coffee maker (Bialetti), an electric tea kettle, toaster, dishwasher, and oven. A separate laundry room has a washing machine and clothes dryer.
First Floor: This floor has four of the five bedrooms. The first two bedrooms have queen size beds (160 cm) and en suite bathrooms with showers. The second two bedrooms each have a set of twin beds (90 cm, both can be combined upon prior request), and each have an en suite bathroom with a shower.
Medieval Tower: Accessible only from the outside of the villa is the tower and fifth bedroom. The tower has a small sitting area, a bathroom with a shower, and one double bedroom with a queen size bed (160cm). A staircase up to the top of the tower leads to a terrace with views over the entire valley.
- Features Description
- A welcome buffet is provided on the evening of guests’ arrival.
- The tower and the fifth bedroom within are only accessible from the outside of the villa.
- Air Conditioning: Available in all five of the bedrooms, only.
- If needed and available, air conditioning and heating should ideally be requested ahead of time, at the time of booking. It may be requested upon arrival, as well.
- The swimming pool is located at the top of the terraced garden and is up and behind the villa, accessible by a staircase of wide, stone steps.
- Hair Dryers: There are hairdryers in each of the bathrooms.
- Included with the rental of this villa is an excursion to the Tiber Valley with the owner (who lives 20 minutes away and is available for any assistance). Also included is wine tasting in the local winery and four hours to use the local tennis court with free equipment for two people.
- Reservation of any extra services should be made prior to your arrival.
Features and Amenities
- Free Parking on Premises
- Independent Villa
- Jacuzzi/Hot Tub - Outside
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Dining
- Pool Towels
- Swimming Pool - Private
- CD player
- DVD player
- TV - English Channels Available
- Internet - Wireless
- Telephone - Local Calls Only
- American Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Electric Tea Kettle
- Hair Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Air Conditioning - Partial House
- Heating - Whole House
- Window Screens - Partial House
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Cook Service Available - Extra Cost
- Housekeeping Available - Extra Cost
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit payable in cash. The security deposit will be returned to you prior to your departure minus any extra charges or accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 500 EUR
- Final Cleaning Charge (Mandatory -To be paid upon arrival): 150 EUR
- Heating: According to consumption
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Air conditioning: According to consumption
- Arrival Fee (after 8:00 pm) Payable upon Arrival: 25 EUR
- Outdoor Jacuzzi Heating (must be requested prior to arrival) - Weekly Charge: 250 EUR
- Heating (in Italy): Allowed by law from November 1 - April 1; some exceptions for extreme weather
- Arrival Fee (Outside Posted Times): Payable upon arrival
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
- Departure Time: 8:30 am
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like:
Based on 3 Reviews
Peace and Quiet
Excellent , exceptional!!
That each bedroom had its own bathroom.
Getting there is a bit confusing.
The beautiful sunflowers in full bloom!
Yes we used a GPS. We rented a car in Florence and drove from Florence. Our greatest difficulty was getting out of Florence. We actually ended up in the wrong town, but that was our fault. Put the wrong town in our GPS!
Overall, the property was lovely. The gardens were beautiful and the views were fabulous. On balance, a truly delightful place.
We enjoyed the history of the property as well as
sitting by the pool and enjoying the view.
There was a plumbing issue in the tower where one couple was staying; they had to move into the main villa while the problem was resolved.
The wonderful buffet provided by the owner. Rosado' generosity and tour of Eremo di Montecasale.
Nearby Events or Locales:
The nearest town was Monterchi, but we took our car to drive there.
We used a GPS to get to Montrechi, and Rosado met us there and we followed him to the property.
The property was excellent. The owner/host could not have been nicer or more helpful.
The gardens and the pool area are amazing. We did a lot of cooking and the kitchen was well equipped.
The house was very cold due to unseasonable cool temperatures. We opted not to use the heating due to cost.
Very well located to explore lots of historic hill towns. The landscape and scenery was lovely.
Nearby Events or Locales:
Monterchi. Not really.
Tips or Restaurants:
The owner had a list of restaurants in the surrounding towns. We went to two and they were both excellent.
The owner met us in the town of Monterchi and we followed him.
Check In Out:
Couldn't have been easier. The owner was always available, showed us everything on arrival and came to the house to see us off.