Click image for all photos
- About The Experience
This luxurious and historical castle is located amidst the beauty of southern Tuscany not far from the Maremma coastline. A wonderful option for family reunions and weddings, this large castle has antiques and grand entrance halls. There a personal assistant available 24 hours a day… and is walking distance to a small historic town!
- Location Description
Situated just opposite the island of Elba this castle, once the home of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, is located halfway between Lucca and Siena. The castle overlooks an olive grove and the Maremma coastline beyond. The castle is within walking distance of the small town of Campiglia Marittima, an historical town with some small shops and cafes. It is within easy driving distance of Venturina, a more modern town with a larger selection of shops and cafes. The Maremma coastline has 160 km of shoreline, composed of sandy and rocky beaches, and many popular towns including Castiglione della Pescaia, Marina di Grosseto, Marina di Alberese, Follonica and Punt’Ala. Additional day trips from this castle include Volterra and Pisa.
Nearby Attractions: The coast of Maremma is a natural paradise of southern Tuscany. There are several areas worth exploring including the Argentario peninsula, the village of Talamone and the Tuscan Archipelago which can be reached by boat from any of the local harbors and ports. Water sport enthusiasts should visit the area of Argentario for diving and snorkeling or for excursions on land, go the Nature Park of Maremma and go horseback riding. Remnants of the Etruscan and Roman areas are visible in many towns including Talamone, with a 15th century castle, Capalbio, which boasts a fortress and medieval city center, and Magliano in Toscana, where visitors can hike or bike among the remains of the 12th century Romanesque chuch of San Bruzio.
Florence: 150 km/93 mi
Pisa: 70 km/43.5 mi
Volterra: 50 km/31 mi
Massa Marittima: 30 km/18.5 mi
Punta Ala: 20 km/12.5 mi
Castagneto Carducci Vineyards: 10 km/6 mi
Baratti: 10 km/6 mi
Etruscan Tombs of Populonia: 10 km/6 mi
San Vincenzo: 7 km/4 mi
Campiglia Marittima: Walking Distance
- Exterior Description
The castle’s enclosed private swimming pool is open from early June through the end of September. It overlooks a split-level olive grove and during the hot daytime hours is shaded by historic pine trees. There is a rose garden and lawn in the castle's rear garden, equipped with comfortable lounge chairs. There is also a small outdoor bar as well as a patio for al fresco dining. Parking is available on the grounds.
- Interior Description
Ground Floor: The entrance leads into a hall graced by oil paintings and important 18th century antiques. To the left of the entrance is a small sitting room furnished with an antique wooden writing table and bookcase. Another sitting room is situated at the end of the entrance hall; it includes a bar and fireplace. There is also a living room with comfortable couches, satellite TV, and Internet access. The dining room is situated to the right of the entrance hall; a door leads to an additional, smaller dining room and to the kitchen (only used by the catering staff). There are staircases leading to the first floor on both sides of the entrance hall.
First Floor (right wing) The staircase on the right of the entrance hall is furnished with two antique suits of armor. This wing includes the Grand Duke's bedroom, painted in cardinal red, which has a king-size bed and ensuite bathroom with tub and overhead shower. It is furnished with 17th Century antiques and it overlooks the gardens.
There are two additional suites in this wing, both with matrimoniale beds (composed of twin-beds pushed together) and en suite bathrooms with tub and overhead shower. One suite overlooks the southern garden, while the other overlooks the northern garden.
Mezzanine (left wing): The mezzanine level, located between the ground and first floors, includes two double bedrooms with queen-size beds and en suite bathroom with tub and overhead shower.
First Floor (left wing): A staircase leads to a suite with a “matrimoniale” bed (composed of 2 twin-beds pushed together), bathroom with shower, and terrace. There is an additional suite, without terrace access, with bathroom with tub and overhead shower. There are two additional bedrooms with “matrimoniale” beds (composed of twin-beds pushed together) and en suite bathrooms, one with tub and overhead shower, the other with shower only.
Tower (left wing): A staircase leads to the top mansard level (tower), with a small junior suite with exposed wooden beams and a countryside view. There is a “matrimoniale” antique iron bed and en suite bathroom with tub and overhead shower.
- Features Description
Extra Services: The following are listed as an aid for trip planning; the services and prices are approximate and cannot be guaranteed by Rentvillas. All extra services are payable locally in cash.
- Cook Service: Upon request
- Extra Housekeeping: Upon request
- Horseback Riding: Upon request
- Vineyard Tours: Upon request
- Coastline Cruises: Upon request
- Daily Continental Breakfast is included.
- The kitchen is available for catering staff use only.
- Air Conditioning is only available in the bedrooms.
- Concierge Service is available 6 days per week.
- Housekeeping is provided daily. Linens, towels, and pool towels are changed every Saturday and Wednesday. Additional Housekeeping can be arranged for an additional fee.
Features and Amenities
- Free Parking on Premises
- Independent Villa
- Outside Area - Private
- Outside Dining
- Pool Towels
- Swimming Pool
- Swimming Pool - Private
- CD player
- DVD player
- TV - English Channels Available
- Computer Available
- Internet - Wireless
- American Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Electric Tea Kettle
- Hair Dryer
- Iron and Board
- Toaster Oven
- Washing Machine
- Air Conditioning - Partial House
- Fireplace - Indoor
- Heating - Whole House
- Portable Baby Crib/Play Pen - Upon Request
- Concierge Service – Included
- Cook Service Available - Extra Cost
- Housekeeping - Included
- Reception Office
Please note: Official Arrival Times:
- Upon arrival at the property you are required to pay to the property representative a security deposit payable by cash or bank certified check. The security deposit will be returned to you prior to your departure minus any extra charges or accidental damages to the property. The listed security deposit is: 2500 EUR
- Heating: According to consumption
- Telephone (If Available): According to consumption
- Departure Time: 10:00 am
- UPON ARRIVAL, RENTERS MUST PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH TRAVELER’S PASSPORT AND SIGN A FORM FOR THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES. IF ARRIVING AT DIFFERENT TIMES GUESTS HAVE 24 HOURS TO COMPLETE THIS PROCEDURE OR OWNERS WILL BE FINED BY THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
- Tourist Tax (Payable upon Arrival): 1-5 Euros per person per day
* These prices and conditions may change based on your arrival date and length of stay. For exact conditions, please click on the View Availability button, enter your dates, and then click on View Pricing and Conditions.
View General Rental Agreement
Questions? Please ask us!
Receive free advice from your own personal Travel Advisor.
Call us: 1-800-726-6702
Outside the US: +1-805-880-1228
Sat 8:00-11:00 Pacific Time
Quiz Our Customers
Ask questions directly to our customers who stayed at this property
Ask a Question
Like this property? You may like:
Based on 2 Reviews
Peace and Quiet
Very nice indeed.
The place itself, beautiful.
The towns and villages within little driving distance.
Tips or Restaurants:
Just rent a car to drive around, or better still, have a driver so you can enjoy the wine of the region.
We enjoyed the castle itself and the beautiful décor. It was in a very peaceful and quiet location. The food and staff were excellent.
The photos on the web site gave the impression that the castle is located on or very near to the ocean and it is not.